Wick Phillips achieves wins for our individual and company clients in high-stakes oil and gas disputes. We strive to avoid litigation and seek peaceable resolution of disputes when possible. But when litigation is the only recourse, we offer years of experience in handling complex oil and gas litigation issues through trial and appeal.
Our experience includes the representation of royalty owners in disputes concerning royalty payment; exploration and production companies in contractual disputes, and service companies in all aspects of their business throughout Texas and other states.
Matters handled by the firm include:
- Disputes over pricing
- Disputes over permissible production and post-production costs
- Owner disputes over working interests
- Overriding royalty calculation disputes
- Termination of oil and gas leases
- Disputes over surface damages
- Disputes involving oilfield service companies
Case highlights include:
- Ongoing representation of multiple royalty owners in disputes with Chesapeake Energy concerning the deduction of costs from royalties and other issues of underpayment and non-payment of royalty, overriding royalty, and working interests.
- Representation of royalty owners in dispute over pricing and royalty calculation against Devon Energy involving substantial Barnett Shale acreage. Case settled prior to trial.
- Representation of a drilling contractor in a dispute concerning drilling contracts for exploration in the Marcellus Shale.
- Representation of a seismic contractor in numerous contract and other matters nationwide.
- Representation of an oil and gas exploration company in more than twelve separate cases filed in six different counties with over 100 separate plaintiffs arising out of the largest wildfire in Texas history. In re Cano Petroleum Wildfire Litigation, No. 07-0593 (Tex. MDL 2008).
In addition to Dallas and Austin, Wick Phillips maintains an office in Fort Worth, in the center of the Barnett Shale.