Brett Pinkus is a litigator and intellectual property attorney who brings a wealth of technical and legal experience to the Firm’s clients. Throughout his career, Brett has handled all aspects of obtaining, enforcing, and defending intellectual property. Brett’s practice primarily focuses on patent, trademark, and trade secret litigation. He has represented clients in cases in federal district courts throughout the country, appeals to the Federal Circuit, and post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, such as Inter Partes Review (IPRs). Brett is also a registered patent attorney who routinely handles patent preparation and prosecution, patent opinions, portfolio development, acquisitions, and licensing and technology agreements.
Brett’s cases have spanned a vast array of technologies, such as medical devices, surgical implants and instrumentation, semiconductors, manufacturing, materials, chemicals, automotive components, printers, RFID, sporting equipment, motion tracking, optics, lasers, signal processing, digital image processing, software, gaming, and Internet and e-commerce applications.
Brett gained invaluable technical experience as an aeronautical engineer designing and testing aircraft structure, hydraulic and electrical systems, and stealth-enhancing aircraft features. That hands-on knowledge and the training received through his mechanical engineering degree enhances Brett’s legal work and allows him to provide a real-world understanding of the complexities of his clients’ products, services, and technology.
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016-17)
- Acantha LLC v. NuVasive, Inc. (Easter District of Michigan) (Represented defendant in patent infringement case involving spinal implant devices).
- VetStem Biopharma, Inc. v. Enso Discoveries LLC and Kansas Regenerative Medicine Center, LLC (lead counsel for plaintiff in patent infringement and breach of contract case involving stem cell therapy).
- QC Manufacturing, Inc. v. Ventamatic, Ltd. (Northern District of Texas) (Lead counsel for defendant in patent infringement lawsuit related to HVAC whole house fan systems).
- Dogleg Right Corp. v. Sik Sports, LLC (Middle District of Florida) (Lead counsel for defendant in patent infringement lawsuit directed to golf putter technology).
- Separation Design Group IP Holdings LLC v. Inogen, Inc. (Central District of California) (Represented plaintiff for patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation directed to oxygen concentrator technology).
- Flexuspine, Inc. v. Globus Medical, Inc. (Eastern District of Texas) (Represented plaintiff in patent infringement lawsuit involving spinal implant through a jury trial and appeal
- ADASA Inc. v. Avery Dennison Corp. (Represented plaintiff for patent infringement lawsuit involving RFID technology).
- Blue Spike LLC v. Free Stream Media Corp. (Eastern District of Texas) (Lead counsel for defendant in multi‐defendant patent infringement case related to identifying media content within a database).
- Newspin Sports LLC v. Blast Motion, Inc. (Represented plaintiff for patent infringement case directed to motion sensors for golf and baseball swing analyzers).
- EVM Systems LLC v. Rex Medical L.P. et al. (Eastern District of Texas) (Represented plaintiff in patent infringement lawsuit directed to an implantable vascular device for treating pulmonary embolisms through a jury trial).
- NFF Inventions LLC v. CTI Foods Acquisition LLC et al. (Central District of California) (Lead counsel for defendant in patent infringement lawsuit involving food manufacturing processes).
- Century Board v. Boral Industries, Inc. (Western District of Texas) (Represented plaintiff for patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, and breach of contract involving the chemical composition and manufacturing of composite siding used in residential construction).
- Commercial Copy Innovations, Inc. v. Ricoh Electronics, Inc. (Central District of California) (Represented plaintiff in patent infringement lawsuit directed to printer, toner, and ink technologies).
- Catheter Ablation Solutions LLC v. American Medical Systems, Inc. (Central District of California) (Represented plaintiff in patent infringement case involving laser system and catheter handpiece for ablation of body tissue).
- Endotach LLC v. Cook Medical Inc. (Southern District of Indiana) (Represented plaintiff in patent infringement lawsuit directed to endovascular stent grafts).