Whether he is negotiating a merger or advising on a corporate restructuring, Brad Mahanay is a strategic problem solver committed to the success of his clients. As the Partner in charge of the firm’s Corporate Section, he leverages his extensive experience at global law firms and prior in-house experience to provide insightful legal services on a broad range of private equity and corporate finance matters. Beyond just legal counsel, his focus is on a client’s ultimate business objectives.
With more than 20 years of experience in mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financing, private equity and venture capital investments, clients rely on his skill of crafting efficient and effective solutions. His previous experience includes work at the firms of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, Patton Boggs LLP and Hughes & Luce, LLP. For three years he was Chief Counsel – M&A and Finance for a worldwide manufacturing company.
Brad has led the acquisition and sale of many businesses across an array of industries, such as manufacturing, oil field services, healthcare, retail and service. His experience includes transactions in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Taiwan, China and Germany and many transactions with bankrupt debtors.
Brad has also led many loan transactions for both lenders and borrowers. These transactions include senior secured loans, asset based loans, and mezzanine loans.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acquisition of a computer leasing business in an $890,000,000 Chapter 11 § 363 sale.
- Disposition of the metals trading business of Enron in a $30,000,000 Chapter 11 § 363 sale.
- Disposition of various SWAP contracts of Enron North America in various Chapter 11 § 363 sales for an aggregate of $70,000,000.
- Disposition of steel inventory of Enron Industrial Markets in various Chapter 11 § 363 sales for an aggregate of $50,000,000.
- Acquisition of a one half interest in a AA baseball team and the formation of a partnership to hold such team and its stadium.
- Acquisition of a fence business for $13,000,000.
- Acquisition of various radio stations in Cleveland, Ohio for an aggregate of $300,000,000.
- Disposition of various retail businesses in various Chapter 11 § 363 sales for Edison Brothers Stores for an aggregate of $28,000,000.
- Acquisition of a one half interest in a riverboat casino.
- Merger of PowerBrief into Integrated Orthopedics in a public merger valued at $25,000,000.
- Disposition of a fibers manufacturing business in Germany.
- Disposition of a fibers manufacturing business in the U.S. and Mexico.
- Disposition of residential flooring business.
- Borrower’s side in a $75,000,000 revolving asset based loan by Fleet Capital to a construction materials manufacturer.
- Borrower’s side in a $69,000,000 mezzanine loan to a construction materials manufacturer.
- Borrower’s side in a syndicated senior loan by Chase to a baseball team.
- Lender’s and investor’s side in a $43,000,000 syndicated revolving and term loan to, and preferred stock investment in, a food supply company.
- Lender’s side in several asset based loans in amounts from approximately $2,000,000 to $10,000,000.
- Lender’s side in several mezzanine loans in amounts from approximately $2,000,000 to $10,000,000.
Private Equity Funds
- Formation of several private equity funds.
- Various employment agreements for executives of public and private companies.
- Various termination agreements for executives of public and private companies.
- Issuance, transfer, revocation and exercise of stock options.
Securities & Corporate Matters
- Compliance issues under the ’34 Act for various public companies (i.e. 8-K’s, 10-Q’s, 10-K’s, Section 16 and Section 13D).
- Restructuring of the securities and charters, and governance issues, of Enron Corp. and various other debtors under the Enron Chapter 11 Plan.