Michael Baum specializes in employment and commercial litigation, with a particular emphasis on disputes involving non-competition and employment agreements, theft of trade secrets, tortious interference with contracts, and breach of fiduciary duties.
Michael is frequently consulted by employers and executives on a wide range of matters, including employee discipline, employment investigations, and strategic employment decisions. He represents parties in employment-related matters in both state and federal court based on wrongful termination and discrimination in the workplace (age, race, gender, pregnancy, national origin, religion and disability); claims of unpaid overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act; and cases involving alleged violations of the Family Medical Leave Act.
In addition, Michael handles complex business litigation, including claims of breach of contract, partnership disputes, and fraud.
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Litigation - Labor and Employment (2021-2023)
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star, Texas Monthly and Law & Politics Magazine (2005, 2008-2009)
- Best Lawyer Under 40, D Magazine (2006)
Michael has extensive jury trial experience and has successfully arbitrated numerous employment related cases. Some of Michael’s noteworthy cases include:
- After obtaining temporary injunctive relief, successfully obtained a favorable settlement for The Expo Group in a case involving breach of a non-compete agreement.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for American Airlines, Inc. in an alleged wrongful termination case involving claims of age discrimination and retaliation. Detra Barrett v. American Airlines, Inc.
- Successfully defended Nordstrom in a case involving claims of ADA discrimination and FMLA retaliation. Following a four day arbitration, obtained an award of zero damages.
- Following a four day arbitration, obtained a take nothing judgment for Omni Hotels in a suit alleging wrongful termination of an employee on the basis of race.
- Successfully defended Montronics (n/k/a Brinks) in a case involving claims of sexual harassment and retaliation. Following a three day arbitration, the arbitrator awarded zero damages.
- The successful representation of a travel club in the Western District of Missouri in a class and collective action suit involving claims of unpaid overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act and Missouri state wage laws.
- Successfully defended, in a case tried to a jury verdict, CSM Global in a Sabine Pilot action.
- In a case tried to jury verdict, successfully defended an aluminum extrusion company accused of wrongfully terminating an employee under Sabine Pilot.
- On behalf of Twelve Oaks Management, Inc., obtained summary judgment in a case involving claims of pregnancy discrimination.